MB ChB: University of Manchester, 2000
MRCP (UK): Royal College of Physicians, 2003
PhD (Med.): University of Manchester, 2010
FRCP (UK): Royal College of Physicians, 2014
- Consultant Nephrologist, Salford Royal Hospital, Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust: 2010 – present
- Honorary Senior Lecturer in Nephrology, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre: 2014 – present
- Board Member, European Renal Association CKD-MBD Working Group: 2019 – present
- Trustee, Kidneys for Life Charity: 2020 – present
- Deputy Director Research & Innovation – Innovation Lead, Northern Care Alliance: 2021 – present
- Visiting Professor, Manchester Metropolitan University: 2022 – present
- National Clinical Director for Renal Medicine, NHS England: 2022 – present
- Renal Clinical Research Fellow, Vascular Research Group & University of Manchester: May 2006 – May 2009
- Specialist Registrar Renal Medicine, North West Deanery: May 2009 – May 2010
- Clinical Director Renal Services and Consultant Renal Physician, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust: May 2014 – February 2020
- North England Representative, UK Renal Association Clinical Services Committee: September 2017 – February 2020
- North West England Regional Lead, UK Renal Association Kidney Quality Improvement Project: January 2018 – February 2021
- Multi-morbidity including diabetic kidney disease, vascular calcification, and rare renal diseases.
- Dr Sinha is internationally recognised opinion leader in the field of vascular calcification and calciphylaxis.
- She supported the development of clinical trials including Phase 1-3 studies.
- Dr Sinha is the Chief Investigator for Calciphyx, an international Phase 3 RCT in Calciphylaxis and the UK PI for numerous other RCTs and studies.
Current research grants and studies:
- UK Calciphylaxis Study – multicentre observational study (34 sites), Chief investigator, Amgen UK (2012 – ongoing)
- Better Evidence and Translation for Calciphylaxis (BEAT-Calci), Co-applicant, Australian Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF), Rare Cancers, Rare Disease and Unmet Need Grant (2018 – ongoing)
- CALCIPHYX, Phase 3 Placebo Controlled Randomized trial of SNF472 in Patients with Calciphylaxis, International Chief Investigator and UK PI, Sanifit Therapeutics A.A. (2019 – ongoing)
- RevOCE CKD- Revolutionising Outpatient Care for Patients with Chronic Kidney disease, Principal Investigator, Salford Integrated Care Partnership (2023 – ongoing)
- METEOR feasibility study, Chief Investigator, Johnson & Johnson Research Grant (2021 – 2023)
- Better Evidence and Translation for Calciphylaxis (BEAT-Calci), co-applicant Baxter IIR Grant (2021 – ongoing)
Publications (last 5 years):
Chukwu CA, Holmberg C, Storrar J, Middleton R, Sinha S, Kalra PA, Shawki H, Rao A. Clinical and histopathologic predictors of recurrent glomerulonephritis after kidney transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2023 Mar 23:e14970.
Storrar J, Gill-Taylor T, Chinnadurai R, Chrysochou C, Poulikakos D, Rainone F, Ritchie J, Lamerton E, Kalra PA, Sinha S. A low rate of end-stage kidney disease in membranous nephropathy: A single centre study over 2 decades. PLoS One 2022 Oct 13;17(10):e0276053.
Wickens O, Rengarajan S, Chinnadurai R, Ford I, Macdougall. IC, Kalra PA, Sinha.S. The Role of iron in Calciphylaxis- A current review. J. Clin. Med. 2022 Sept 29;11(19):5779.
Storrar J, Chinnadurai R, Sinha S, Kalra PA. The epidemiology and evolution of IgA nephropathy over two decades: A single centre experience. PLoS One 2022 Sep 1;17(9):e0268421.
Nawaz S, Chinnadurai R, Al-Chalabi S, Evans P, Kalra PA, Syed A, Sinha S. Obesity and chronic kidney disease: a current review. Obes Sci Pract. 2022 July 13;1-14.
Patel RD, Sinha S. Comments on a Case Entitled “Gazing Into the Crystal Ball”. J Neuroophthalmol. 2022 Jun 1;42(2): e536-e537.
Evans M, Morgan AR, Bain SC, Davies S, Dashora U, Sinha S, Seidu S, Patel DC, Beba H, Strain WD. Defining the Role of SGLT2 Inhibitors in Primary Care: Time to Think Differently. Diabetes Ther. 2022 May;13(5):889-911.
Hamilton P, Kanigicherla D, Hanumapura P, Blaikie K, Ritchie J, Sinha S, Brenchley P, Mitra S. Peptide GAM immunoadsorption in anti-PLA2 R positive autoimmune membranous nephropathy. The PRISM trial. J Clin Apher. 2022 Feb;37(1):40-53.
Poulikakos D, Chinnadurai R, Mcgee Y, Gray S, Clough T, Clarke N, Murphy T, Wickens O, Mitchell C, Darby D, Paul J, Chadwick P, Sethi S, Sinha S, Kalra PA, Donne R. A Quality Improvement Project to Minimize COVID-19 Infections in Patients Receiving Haemodialysis and the Role of Routine Surveillance Using Nose and Throat Swabs for SARS-CoV-2 rRT-PCR and Serum Antibody Testing. Nephron. 2022;146(4):335-342.
Waldman M, Soler MJ, García-Carro C, Lightstone L, Turner-Stokes T, Griffith M, Torras J, Martinez Valenzuela L, Bestard O, Geddes C, Flossmann O, Budge KL, Cantarelli C, Fiaccadori E, Delsante M, Morales E, Gutierrez E, Niño-Cruz JA, Martinez-Rueda AJ, Comai G, Bini C, La Manna G, Slon MF, Manrique J, Avello A, Fernandez-Prado R, Ortiz A, Marinaki S, Martin Varas CR, Rabasco Ruiz C, Sierra-Carpio M, García-Agudo R, Fernández Juárez G, Hamilton AJ, Bruchfeld A, Chrysochou C, Howard L, Sinha S, Leach T, Agraz Pamplona I, Maggiore U, Cravedi P. COVID-19 in Patients with Glomerular Disease: Follow-Up Results from the IRoc-GN International Registry. Kidney360 2021 Dec 3;3(2):293-306.
Jeyalan V, Storrar J, Wu HL, Ponnusamy A, Sinha S, Kalra PA, Chinnadurai R. Native and transplant kidney histopathological manifestations in association with COVID-19 infection: A systematic review. World J. Transplant 2021 Nov 18; 11(11): 480-502.
Chinnadurai, R, Huckle A., Hegarty J, Kalra PA, Sinha S. Calciphylaxis in end-stage kidney disease: outcome data from the United Kingdom Calciphylaxis Study. J Nephrol 2021 Oct; 34:1537-1545.
Sinha S, Gould LJ, Nigwekar SU, Serena TE, Brandenburg V, Moe SM, Aronoff G, Chatoth DK, Hymes JL, Miller S, Padgett C, Carroll KJ, Perelló J, Gold A, Chertow GM. The CALCIPHYX Study: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, Phase 3 clinical trial of SNF472 for the treatment of calciphylaxis. Clin. Kidney J. 2021 Jul 6;15(1):136-144.
Sinha S, Raggi P, Chertow GM. SNF472: mechanism of action and results from clinical trials. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2021 Jul 1,30(4):424-429.
Bushinsky DA, Raggi P, Bover J, Ketteler M, Bellasi A, Rodriguez M, Sinha S, Garg R, Perelló J, Gold A, Chertow GM. Effects of Myo-inositol Hexaphosphate (SNF472) on Bone Mineral Density in Patients Receiving Hemodialysis: An Analysis of the Randomized, Placebo-Controlled CaLIPSO Study. Clin. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2021 May 8;16:736-745.
Gould LJ, Serena TE, Sinha S. Development of the BWAT-CUA Scale to Assess Wounds in Patients with Calciphylaxis. Diagnostics (Basel), 2021 April 20; 11(4):730.
Bakkaloglu SA, Bacchetta J, Lalayiannis AD, Leifheit-Nestler M, Stabouli S, Haarhaus M, Reusz G, Groothoff J, Schmitt CP, Evenepoel P, Shroff R, Haffner D; European Society for Paediatric Nephrology (ESPN) Chronic Kidney Disease Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD) and Dialysis working groups and CKD-MBD working group of the European Renal Association–European Dialysis and Transplant Association (ERA-EDTA). Bone evaluation in paediatric chronic kidney disease: Clinical practice points from the European Society for Paediatric Nephrology CKD-MBD and Dialysis working groups and CKD-MBD working group of the ERA-EDTA. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2021 Mar; 36(3):413-425.
Lodge MDS, Abeygunaratne T, Alderson H, Ali I, Brown N, Chrysochou C, Donne R, Erekosima I, Evans P, Flanagan E, Gray S, Green D, Hegarty J, Hyde A, Kalra PA, Lamerton E, Lewis D, Middleton R, New D, Nipah R, O’Donoghue D, O’Riordan E, Poulikakos D, Rainone F, Raman M, Ritchie J, Sinha S, Wood G, Tollitt J. Safely reducing haemodialysis frequency during the COVID-19 pandemic. BMC Nephrol. 2020 Dec 7;21(1):532.
Raggi P, Bellasi A, Sinha S, Bover J, Rodriguez M, Ketteler M, Bushinsky DA, Garg R, Perelló J, Gold A, Chertow GM. Effects of SNF472, a Novel Inhibitor of Hydroxyapatite Crystallization in Patients Receiving Hemodialysis – Subgroup Analyses of the CALIPSO Trial. Kidney Int. Rep. 2020 nov 4;5(12):2178-2182.
Chinnadurai R, Sinha S, Lowney AC, Miller M. Pain management in patients with end-stage renal disease and calciphylaxis- a survey of clinical practices among physicians. BMC Nephrol. 2020 Sep 18; 21(1):403.
Poulikakos D, Sinha S, Kalra P. SARS-CoV-2 antibody screening in healthcare workers in a tertiary centre in North West England J. Clin. Virol. 2020 Aug;129:104545.
James B, Sykes L, Flanagan E, Sinha S, Kalra PA, D Green D. Mortality risk by peak serum creatinine in hospital episodes complicated by acute kidney injury. Clin. Med. (Lond). 2020 Mar; 20(Suppl 2): s109–s110.
Raggi P, Bellasi A, Bushinsky D, Bover J, Rodriguez M, Ketteler M, Sinha S, Salcedo C, Gillotti K, Padgett C, Garg R, Gold A, Perelló J, Chertow GM. Slowing Progression of Cardiovascular Calcification with SNF472 in Patients on Hemodialysis: Results of a Randomized, Phase 2b Study. Circulation 2020 Mar 3;141(9):728-739.
Brandenburg, VM, Sinha S, Torregrosa JV, Garg R, Miller S, Canals AZ, Bahr D, Joubert PH, Salcedo C, Carroll KJ, Gold A, Perelló J Improvement in wound healing, pain, and quality of life after 12 weeks of SNF472 treatment: a phase 2 open-label study of patients with calciphylaxis. J. Nephrol. 2019 Oct;32(5):811-821.
Bellasi A, Raggi P, Bover J, Bushinsky DA, Chertow GM, Ketteler M, Rodriguez M, Sinha S, Salcedo C, Garg R, Gold A, Perelló J Trial design and baseline characteristics of CaLIPSO: a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trial of SNF472 in patients receiving haemodialysis with cardiovascular calcification Clin.Kidney J. 2019 Oct 30;14: 366–374.
Tollitt J, Bennett N, Darby D, Flanagan E, Chadwick P, Sinha S, Kalra PA, Ritchie J, Poulikakos D. The importance of acute kidney injury in suspected community acquired infection. PLoS One. 2019 May 7;14(5):e0216412.
Hamilton P, Wilson F, Chinnadurai R, Sinha S, Singh M, Ponnusamy A, Hall P, Dhaygude A, Kanigicherla D, Brenchley P. The investigative burden of membranous nephropathy in the UK. Clin. Kidney J. 2019.Apr 23;13(1):27-34.
Seethapathy H, Brandenburg VM, Sinha S, El-Azhary RA, Nigwekar SU. Update on the Management of Calciphylaxis. QJM. 2019 Jan 1;112(1):29-34.
Simpson S, Storrar J, Ritchie J, Alshawy K, Ebah L, Sinha S, Elton, P, Darby D, Poulikakos D Point-of-Care Creatinine to Assist Clinical Decision Making in Suspected Sepsis in the Community. Point of Care 2019;18.
Perelló J, Joubert PH, Ferrer MD, Canals AZ, Sinha S, Salcedo C. First-Time-In-Human Randomized Clinical Trial in Healthy Volunteers and Haemodialysis Patients with SNF472, a Novel Inhibitor of Vascular Calcification. Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2018 Dec;84(12):2867-2876.
Tollitt J, Flanagan E, McCorkindale S, Glynn-Atkins S, Emmett L, Darby D, Ritchie J, Bennett B, Sinha S, Poulikakos D. Improved management of acute kidney injury in primary care using e-alerts and an educational outreach programme. Fam Pract. 2018 Dec 12;35(6):684 – 689.
Sykes L, Sinha S, Hegarty J, Flanagan E, Doyle L, Hoolickin C, Edwards L, Ferris P, Lamerton E, Poulikakos D, Green D, Nipah R. Reducing acute kidney injury incidence and progression in a large teaching hospital. BMJ Open Qual. 2018 Nov 26;7(4):e000308.
Ponnusamy A, Sinha S, Hyde GD, Borland SJ, Taylor RF, Pond E, Eyre HJ, Inkson CA, Gilmore A, Ashton N, Kalra PA, Canfield AE. FTI-277 inhibits smooth muscle cell calcification by up-regulating PI3K/Akt signaling and inhibiting apoptosis. PLoS One. 2018 Apr 24;13(4):e0196232.
Fraccaro P, Vigo M, Balatsoukas P, van der Veer SN, Hassan L, Williams R, Wood G, Sinha S, Buchan I, Peek N. Presentation of laboratory test results in patient portals: influence of interface design on risk interpretation and visual search behaviour. BMC Med. Inform. Decis. Mak. 2018 Feb 12; 18(1):11.
Greenan K, Vassallo D, Chinnadurai R, Ritchie J, Shepherd K, Green D, Ponnusamy A, Sinha S. Respiratory manifestations of ANCA-associated vasculitis. Clin. Respir J. 2018 Jan;12(1):57-61.