MB ChB: University of Manchester, 1996
FRCP: Royal College of Physicians, 2006
- Consultant renal physician (subspecialised in kidney transplant and haemodialysis), Salford Royal Hospital, Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust: 2006 – present
- Clinical Lead Haemodialysis (procurement, BCLC, safety, service development issues), Salford Royal Hospital: 2014 – present
- Appraiser for revalidation, SRFT: 2014 – present
- NICE Health Technology Assessment Reviewer: 2015 – present
- Co-Chair Thrombosis Committee (National Exemplar Status achieved in 2017): 2016 – present
- Deputy Medical Director, Salford Care Organisation: 2017 – present
- Health Foundation Q Member: 2017 – present
- Senior Lecturer, University of Manchester: 2021 – present
- Clinical Lead NIHR CLAHRC Greater Manchester (1&2)
- Supervisor to MD/MPhil x2 QI research fellows/x1 MRes student
- National Clinical Lead Kidney Care Plans Project NHS Kidney Care: 2008 – 2009
- Director SRFT Central Lines Collaborative: 2008 – 2009
- Clinical Lead NIHR CLAHRC1 Greater Manchester: 2008 – 2013
- Director CKD Collaborative Greater Manchester NIHR CLARHC: 2009 – 2012 (Involved 49 GP practices in 3 waves across GM)
- Director SRFT Kidney Replacement Therapies Collaborative: 2009 – 2014
- Clinical Lead NIHR CLAHRC Greater Manchester: 2014 – 2017 (QI in AKI with Salford and Bury CCGs)
- Acting Clinical Director SRFT Department Renal Medicine: 2015 – 2016
- SRFT AKI Trustwide QI Programme Steering Committee: 2015 – 2017
- NICE Adoption and Impact Reference Panel Member 2015 – 2017
- Charitable Trustee “Kidneys for Life”: 2015 – 2019
- NHS England External Peer Reviewer for dialysis & transplantation: 2016
- National Kidney Quality Improvement Programme (KQuiP) Workstreams: 2016 – 2018
- Patient Experience Lead Department Renal Medicine SRFT – set up of complementary therapies for dialysis patients, peer support and BAME peer support projects: 2016 – 2019
- British Renal Society Clinical Practice Development Group Committee Member: 2017
- Epidemiology and quality outcomes in chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- CKD-MBD (Mineral and bone disorder) especially calciphylaxis
- Implementation science
Current research grants:
- RESOLVE (Global study of randomised dialysis sodium on Vascular Events), Principal Investigator, University of Sydney (2022 – ongoing)
- OPTi-EPRO, Principal Investigator, University of Manchester (2022 – ongoing)
Publications (last 5 years):
Stringer D, Gardner L, Shaw O, Clarke B, Briggs D, Worthington J, Buckland M, Danzi G, Hilton R, Picton M, Thuraisingham R, Borrows R, Baker R, McCullough K, Stoves J, Phanish M, Shah S, Shiu KY, Walsh SB, Ahmed A, Ayub W, Hegarty J, Tinch-Taylor R, Georgiou E, Bidad N, Kılıç A, Moon Z, Horne R, McCrone P, Kelly J, Murphy C, Peacock J, Dorling A. Optimized immunosuppression to prevent graft failure in renal transplant recipients with HLA antibodies (OuTSMART): a randomised controlled trial. EClinicalMedicine. 2023 Jan 12;56:101819.
Chinnadurai R, Huckle A, Hegarty J, Kalra PA, Sinha S. Calciphylaxis in end-stage kidney disease: outcome data from the United Kingdom Calciphylaxis Study. J Nephrol. 2021 Oct;34(5):1537-1545.
Eddington H, Chinnadurai R, Alderson H, Ibrahim ST, Chrysochou C, Green D, Erekosima I, Hutchison A, Bubtana A, Hegarty J, Kalra PA. A randomised controlled trial to examine the effects of cinacalcet on bone and cardiovascular parameters in haemodialysis patients with advanced secondary hyperparathyroidism. BMC Nephrol. 2021 Mar 23;22(1):106.
Lodge MDS, Abeygunaratne T, Alderson H, Ali I, Brown N, Chrysochou C, Donne R, Erekosima I, Evans P, Flanagan E, Gray S, Green D, Hegarty J, Hyde A, Kalra PA, Lamerton E, Lewis D, Middleton R, New D, Nipah R, O’Donoghue D, O’Riordan E, Poulikakos D, Rainone F, Raman M, Ritchie J, Sinha S, Wood G, Tollitt J. Safely reducing haemodialysis frequency during the COVID-19 pandemic. BMC Nephrol. 2020 Dec 7;21(1):532.
Stringer D, Gardner LM, Peacock JL, Rebollo-Mesa I, Hilton R, Shaw O, Baker R, Clark B, Thuraisingham RC, Buckland M, Picton M, Worthington J, Borrows R, Briggs D, Shah S, Shiu KY, McCullough K, Phanish M, Hegarty J, Stoves J, Ahmed A, Ayub W, Horne R, McCrone P, Kelly J, Murphy C, Dorling A. Update to the study protocol, including statistical analysis plan, for the multicentre, randomised controlled OuTSMART trial: a combined screening/treatment programme to prevent premature failure of renal transplants due to chronic rejection in patients with HLA antibodies. Trials. 2019 Aug 5;20(1):476.
Green D, Vassallo D, Handley K, Ives N, Wheatley K, Chrysochou C, Hegarty J, Wright J, Moss J, Patel RK, Deighan C, Webster J, Rowe P, Carr S, Cross J, O’Driscoll J, Sharma R, Mark P, Kalra PA. Cardiac structure and function after revascularization versus medical therapy for renal artery stenosis: the ASTRAL heart echocardiographic sub-study. BMC Nephrol. 2019 Jun 14;20(1):220.
Sykes L, Sinha S, Hegarty J, Flanagan E, Doyle L, Hoolickin C, Edwards L, Ferris P, Lamerton E, Poulikakos D, Green D, Nipah R. Reducing acute kidney injury incidence and progression in a large teaching hospital. BMJ Open Qual. 2018 Nov 26;7(4):e000308.