Dr Stuart Stewart
BSc. Hons: University of Manchester (First Class), 2012
MBChB: University of Manchester, 2013
DFSRH: Diploma of the Faculty of Reproductive and Sexual Health, 2021
MRCGP: Royal College of General Practitioners, 2022
MRes: University of Manchester (Distinction), 2023
- Research Ambassador, Rochdale Care Organisation, The Northern Care Alliance: November 2021 – present
- Locum NHS General Practitioner: March 2023 – present
- PhD Research Fellow at The Northern Care Alliance – Donal O’Donoghue Renal Research Centre: August 2023 – present
- Academic GP, Alderley Edge Medical Practice, Cheshire, UK: Aug 2022 – Feb 2023
- Research fellow, Academic GP on career progression fellowship, NIHR School for Primary Care Research, University of Manchester, UK: Aug 2022 – Aug 2023
- Speciality Lead, Primary Care, Greater Manchester, NIHR Clinical Research Network: Apr 2022 – Oct 2022
- NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow in General Practice – Registrar, Greater Manchester, UK: Apr 2022 – Oct 2022
- NIHR Academic, Greater Manchester, UK: Jan 2019 – Aug 2022
- Locum Registrar in Acute Medicine, Rochdale Infirmary, Lancashire, UK: Aug 2018 – Jan 2019
- Locum Registrar in Care Of The Elderly, Macclesfield District General Hospital, UK: Apr 2018 – Aug 2018
- Registrar in Care Of The Elderly, Fairview Community Hospital / The Mater Misericordaie, Dublin, Ireland: Mar 2017 – Apr 2018
- NIHR Academic GP Trainee ST1 in Diabetes and Endocrinology, University Hospital South Manchester, Manchester: Aug 2016 – Jan 2017
- Locum CT1 in General Medicine, Rochdale Infirmary, Pennine Acute NHS Trust: Jan 2016 – Aug 2016
- Locum CT1 in Cardiology and Coronary Care, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Central Manchester Foundation Trust: Aug 2015 – Jan 2016
- FY1: General Surgery (Hepatobiliary, Colorectal and Urology), Intensive Care, Acute Medicine and FY2: Infectious Diseases, General Surgery (Upper GI and Colorectal), General Practice, Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, North Manchester General Hospital
- Foundation Doctor: Aug 2013 – Aug 2015
Supervision at higher degrees:
- Supervision of 3rd year medical student on APEP project as part of medical degree: May 2023 – June 2023
- Supervisor for Population Health Fellowship in Rochdale Care Organisation, Northern Care Alliance: Nov 2022 – Nov 2023
- Chronic kidney disease
- Cardiovascular epidemiology
- Women’s health
- Big data
- Electronic health record data
- Primary Care electronic health record
- Digital health
- Digital epidemiology
Currently active research grants:
- Personal research award to support doctoral research fellowship (successful in national open competition for doctoral research funding), Lead Applicant, Kidney Research UK (Jan 2023 – Aug 2026)
- Understanding and overcoming barriers to research involvement of patients with kidney disease from underserved communities, Co-Applicant, NIHR Research for Patient Benefit (July 2023 – July 2027)
Publications (last 5 years):
Stewart S, Evans W, Turnbull I, Bradbury C, Hayward J, Shearman J, Managing raised ferritin in primary care. BMJ. 2023 Jul 26; 382:e076750.
Stewart S, Smartphone Apps for Health and Wellness (chapter 5 and 12). Elsevier Academic Press (Higgins J, Morico M, editors) 2023 Jan.
Pyne Y, Stewart S, Meta-work: how we research is as important as what we research. Br J Gen Pract. 2022 Feb 24;72(716):130-131.
Stewart S, Newson L, Briggs TA, Grammatopoulos D, Young L, Gill P, Long COVID risk – a signal to address sex hormones and women’s health. Lancet Reg Health Eur. 2021 Dec 11: 100242.
Stewart S, Pyne Y, McMillan B, Augmented Consulting: the future of primary care? BJGP Open 2021 Apr 26;5(2):BJGPO.2020.0177.
Stewart S, Choudhury B, Mobile Technology: Creation and use of an iBook to teach the anatomy of the brachial plexus. Anat Sci Educ. 2015 Sep-Oct;8(5):429-37.
Stewart S, Brachial Plexus for Students (2nd edition), iBook edition. Apple Inc. iBookstore and available in 52 countries worldwide. 2012 May.