Skin experts will team up with patient ambassadors, dancers and comedians to raise awareness of the inflammatory condition psoriasis this summer.
World-leading psoriasis expert Professor Chris Griffiths, a Consultant Dermatologist at Salford Royal and Director of the Manchester Centre for Dermatology Research, leads the Psoriasis Shout Out®, a series of special events to get people talking about this often overlooked chronic condition.
The events will bring patients together with professionals working in psoriasis management and research to discuss the latest research and treatments for psoriasis, which affects around 1.8 million people in the UK and is characterised by red, scaling patches of skin.
Comedian Toby Hadoke and patient ambassador Rebecca Derwent-Black will join Professor Griffiths and colleagues from the dermatology department at Salford Royal on Wednesday 22 June for a roadshow.
The roadshow, next to Central Car Park at Salford Royal from 9am-5pm, will offer a chance to chat with other people living with psoriasis, hear from experts from Salford Royal, The University of Manchester and the Psoriasis Association (2-3.30pm) and to try out mindfulness (1.15-1.50pm) and Bhangracise – a fun way to dance and keep fit (12.30-1.10pm).
There will also be a special session advising psoriasis patients on how to get the most out of consultations with their GP (3.30-4pm).
You don’t have to book to attend any of the events but if you want more information, you can follow @PsoShoutOut on Twitter or see the website www.psoriasisshoutout.co.uk.
The Salford Royal event is one of several arranged for this year’s Psoriasis Shout Out®. Others include:
- Saturday 18 June: Let’s Talk Psoriasis – presentations, discussions and questions plus fashion and make up tips – Manchester Central Library, St Peter’s Square, Manchester M2 5PD, 2-4pm.
- Sunday 19 June: Comedy evening – with Toby Hadoke, Gary Delaney and John Cooper – XS Malarkey Comedy Club, 126 Grosvenor Street, Manchester M1 7HL, 8pm (profits to the Psoriasis Association).
The Roadshow’s healthcare trailer will also visit:
- 18-19 June Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester (9am-5pm)
- 20 June The Rock Shopping Centre, Bury (9am-5pm)
- 21 June St Ann’s Square, Manchester (9am-5pm)
- 22 June Salford Royal (9am-5pm)