BSc (Hons): The University of Manchester, 2000
MB ChB: The University of Manchester, 2001
MRCP (UK): Royal College of Physicians, 2005
PhD: The University of Manchester, 2012
- Deanery Training days in GIM, Renal Medicine: HENW and HEYH, 2006 – present
- Member of the UKKRC Cardiorenal CSG, 2012 – present
- Manchester Medical School APEP (and formerly Project Option) supervisor, 2016 – present
- Consultant Nephrologist and Acute Physician, Salford Royal Hospital, Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust: 2016 – present
- NICE Panel of Expert Advisors (representing adult nephrology): 2018 – present
- Guest speaker, University of Bolton Advance Practice PGDip & MSc courses, 2018 – present
- Member of NIHR TEC National Specialty Group, 2019 – present
- National Research Lead, Society for Acute Medicine: 2019 – present
- Visiting Professor, Department of Life Sciences, Manchester Metropolitan University: 2020 – present
- SAM Research Network, academic trainee mentorship programme 2020 – present
- Chair of the National Acute Medicine Research Network: 2020 – present
- Medical Examiner, Salford Care Organisation: 2021 – present
- UK Kidney Association AKI Governance Group, 2021 – present
- MAHSC Honorary Chair, Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Manchester: 2022 – present
- NIHR Clinical Lead, Renal Disorders, Greater Manchester CLRN: 2022 – present
- Clinical Lead, NCARC Biobank, Northern Care Alliance NHS FT: 2022 – present
- KDIGO Heart Failure in CKD controversies conference invitee, 2017
- PREDNOS II trial steering Committee, 2018 – 2020
Supervision at higher degrees (primary supervisor of 3 PhDs and co-supervisor of 5 MDs or PhDs).
- Strong research focus on cardiorenal disorders
- Clinical and academic specialist interest in multimorbidity cardiovascular medicine and associated multidisciplinary care
- Expertise in management of renal disorders in patients with heart failure, particularly atherosclerotic renovascular disease
Current funding grants:
- Development and clinical validation of PoC assays for troponin and NTproBNP in acute cardiovascular presentations, Osler Diagnostics (2021 – ongoing)
- Development of an integrated cardiorenal service for patients with heart failure and chronic kidney disease, Novartis (2021 – ongoing)
- Facilitating patient reported outcomes measures in research across the Northern Care Alliance, Novartis (2021 – ongoing)
- Using postal blood tests to increase capacity for routine monitoring of biochemistry in primary and secondary care, Salford CCG Innovations fund (2021 – ongoing)
- Increasing the profile of multimorbidity research in the NCA, NIHR CRN GM (2021 -ongoing)
- Improving the accuracy of CKD monitoring using postal fingerprick iohexol mGFR, Kidneys for Life (2021 – ongoing)
- PROMs and PREMs in renal anaemia management using HIF-PHI, GSK (2022 – ongoing)
Publications (last 5 years):
Grams ME, Brunskill NJ, Ballew SH, Sang Y, Coresh J, Matsushita K, Surapaneni A, Bell S, Carrero JJ, Chodick G, Evans M, Heerspink HJL, Inker LA, Iseki K, Kalra PA, Kirchner HL, Lee BJ, Levin A, Major RW, Medcalf J, Nadkarni GN, Naimark DMJ, Ricardo AC, Sawhney S, Sood MM, Staplin N, Stempniewicz N, Stengel B, Sumida K, Traynor JP, van den Brand J, Wen CP, Woodward M, Yang JW, Wang AY, Tangri N; CKD Prognosis Consortium, Chalmers J, Woodward M, Hsu CY, Ricardo AC, Anderson A, Rao P, Feldman H, Chang AR, Ho K, Green J, Kirchner HL, Bell S, Siddiqui M, Palmer C, Shalev V, Chodick G, Stengel B, Metzger M, Flamant M, Houillier P, Haymann JP, Stempniewicz N, Cuddeback J, Ciemins E, Kovesdy CP, Sumida K, Carrero JJ, Trevisan M, Elinder CG, Wettermark B, Kalra P, Chinnadurai R, Tollitt J, Green D, Coresh J, Ballew SH, Chang AR, Gansevoort RT, Grams ME, Gutierrez O, Konta T, Köttgen A, Levey AS, Matsushita K, Polkinghorne K, Schäffner E, Woodward M, Zhang L, Ballew SH, Chen J, Coresh J, Grams ME, Matsushita K, Sang Y, Surapaneni A, Woodward M. Development and Validation of Prediction Models of Adverse Kidney Outcomes in the Population With and Without Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2022 Sep 1;45(9):2055-2063.
de Bhailis Á, Al-Chalabi S, Hagemann R, Ibrahim S, Hudson A, Lake E, Chysochou C, Green D, Kalra PA. Managing acute presentations of atheromatous renal artery stenosis. BMC Nephrol. 2022 Jun 16;23(1):210.
Hicks CW, Clark TWI, Cooper CJ, de Bhailís ÁM, De Carlo M, Green D, Małyszko J, Miglinas M, Textor SC, Herzog CA, Johansen KL, Reinecke H, Kalra PA. Atherosclerotic Renovascular Disease: A KDIGO (Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes) Controversies Conference. Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2022 Feb;79(2):289-301.
Johansen KL, Garimella PS, Hicks CW, Kalra PA, Kelly DM, Martens S, Matsushita K, Sarafidis P, Sood MM, Herzog CA, Cheung M, Jadoul M, Winkelmayer WC, Reinecke H; Conference Participants. Central and peripheral arterial diseases in chronic kidney disease: conclusions from a Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Controversies Conference. Kidney Int. 2021 Jul;100(1):35-48.
Bell JS, James BD, Al-Chalabi S, Sykes L, Kalra PA, Green D. Community- versus hospital-acquired acute kidney injury in hospitalised COVID-19 patients. BMC Nephrol. 2021 Jul 23;22(1):269.
Essa H, Hamdy S, Green D, Lal S, McLaughlin J, Hoffmann S, Leitao E, Paine P. Hydrogen and methane breath test results are negatively associated with IBS and may reflect transit time in post-surgical patients. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2021 Jun;33(6):e14033.
Tankel JW, Ratcliffe D, Smith M, Mullarkey A, Pover J, Marsden Z, Bennett P, Green D. Consequences of the emergency response to COVID-19: a whole health care system review in a single city in the United Kingdom. BMC Emerg. Med. 2021 May 1;21(1):55.
Eddington H, Chinnadurai R, Alderson H, Ibrahim ST, Chrysochou C, Green D, Erekosima I, Hutchison A, Bubtana A, Hegarty J, Kalra PA. A randomised controlled trial to examine the effects of cinacalcet on bone and cardiovascular parameters in haemodialysis patients with advanced secondary hyperparathyroidism. BMC Nephrol. 2021 Mar 23;22(1):106.
Lodge MDS, Abeygunaratne T, Alderson H, Ali I, Brown N, Chrysochou C, Donne R, Erekosima I, Evans P, Flanagan E, Gray S, Green D, Hegarty J, Hyde A, Kalra PA, Lamerton E, Lewis D, Middleton R, New D, Nipah R, O’Donoghue D, O’Riordan E, Poulikakos D, Rainone F, Raman M, Ritchie J, Sinha S, Wood G, Tollitt J. Safely reducing haemodialysis frequency during the COVID-19 pandemic. BMC Nephrol. 2020 Dec 7;21(1):532.
Ali I, Ibrahim ST, Chinnadurai R, Green D, Taal M, Whetton TD, Kalra PA. A Paradigm to Discover Biomarkers Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease Progression. Biomark Insights. 2020 Dec 1;15:1177271920976146.
Ali I, Chinnadurai R, Ibrahim ST, Green D, Kalra PA. Predictive factors of rapid linear renal progression and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease. BMC Nephrol. 2020 Aug 14;21(1):345.
James B, Sykes L, Flanagan E, Sinha S, Kalra PA, D Green D. Mortality risk by peak serum creatinine in hospital episodes complicated by acute kidney injury. Clin. Med. (Lond). 2020 Mar; 20(Suppl 2): s109–s110.
Green D. The Cardiorenal Syndrome. Oxford Textbook of Medicine, 6th Edition. 2020, OUP. Ch 16.5.4
Sykes L, Asar O, Ritchie J, Raman M, Vassallo D, Alderson HV, O’Donoghue DJ, Green D, Diggle PJ, Kalra PA. The influence of multiple episodes of acute kidney injury on survival and progression to end stage kidney disease in patients with chronic kidney disease. PLoS One. 2019 Jul 18;14(7):e0219828.
Skampardoni S, Poulikakos D, Malik M, Green D, Kalra PA. The potential of electrocardiography for cardiac risk prediction in chronic and end-stage kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2019 Jul 1;34(7):1089-1098.
Vassallo D, Alderson H, Vuilleumier N, Ritchie J, Green D, Pagano S, Virzi J, Chrysochou C, Kalra PA. Association of novel biomarkers with major clinical outcomes in a cohort of patients with atherosclerotic renovascular disease. Ann. Cli.n Biochem. 2019 Jul;56(4):488-501.
Green D, Vassallo D, Handley K, Ives N, Wheatley K, Chrysochou C, Hegarty J, Wright J, Moss J, Patel RK, Deighan C, Webster J, Rowe P, Carr S, Cross J, O’Driscoll J, Sharma R, Mark P, Kalra PA. Cardiac structure and function after revascularization versus medical therapy for renal artery stenosis: the ASTRAL heart echocardiographic sub-study. BMC Nephrol. 2019 Jun 14;20(1):220.
Kilgallon E, Vasant DH, Green D, Shields PL, Hamdy S, Lal S, Paine P. Chronic continuous abdominal pain: evaluation of diagnostic features, iatrogenesis and drug treatments in a cohort of 103 patients. Aliment Pharmacol. Ther. 2019 May;49(10):1282-1292.
Sykes L, Kalra PA, Green D. Comparison of impact on death and critical care admission of acute kidney injury between common medical and surgical diagnoses. PLoS One. 2019 Apr 11;14(4):e0215105.
Chinnadurai R, Ritchie J, Green D, Kalra PA. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and clinical outcomes in chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2019 Mar 1;34(3):449-457.
Feldreich T, Nowak C, Fall T, Carlsson AC, Carrero JJ, Ripsweden J, Qureshi AR, Heimbürger O, Barany P, Stenvinkel P, Vuilleumier N, Kalra PA, Green D, Ärnlöv J. Circulating proteins as predictors of cardiovascular mortality in end-stage renal disease. J. Nephrol. 2019 Feb;32(1):111-119.
Poulikakos D, Hnatkova K, Skampardoni S, Green D, Kalra P, Malik M. Sudden Cardiac Death in Dialysis: Arrhythmic Mechanisms and the Value of Non-invasive Electrophysiology. Front Physiol. 2019 Feb 25;10:144.
Skampardoni S, Green D, Hnatkova K, Malik M, Kalra PA, Poulikakos D. QRS-T Angle Predicts Cardiac Risk and Correlates With Global Longitudinal Strain in Prevalent Hemodialysis Patients. Front Physiol. 2019 Feb 25;10:145.
Green D. Altered kidney function on the Acute Medical Unit. Acute Med. 2019;18(3):138-140.
Vasant DH, Kalaiselvan R, Ablett J, Bond A, Abraham A, Teubner A, Green D, Paine PA, Lal S. The chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction subtype has prognostic significance in patients with severe gastrointestinal dysmotility related intestinal failure. Clin. Nutr. 2018 Dec;37(6 Pt A):1967-1975.
Raman M, Green D, Middleton RJ, Kalra PA. Comparing the impact of older age on outcome in chronic kidney disease of different etiologies: a prospective cohort study. J. Nephrol. 2018 Dec;31(6):931-939.
Sykes L, Sinha S, Hegarty J, Flanagan E, Doyle L, Hoolickin C, Edwards L, Ferris P, Lamerton E, Poulikakos D, Green D, Nipah R. Reducing acute kidney injury incidence and progression in a large teaching hospital. BMJ Open Qual. 2018 Nov 26;7(4):e000308.
Raman M, Middleton RJ, Kalra PA, Green D. Outcomes in dialysis versus conservative care for older patients: A prospective cohort analysis of stage 5 Chronic Kidney Disease. PLoS One. 2018 Oct 26;13(10):e0206469.
Sykes L, Nipah R, Kalra P, Green D. A narrative review of the impact of interventions in acute kidney injury. J. Nephrol. 2018 Aug;31(4):523-535.
Hughes J, Y Y Chiu D, Kalra PA, Green D. Prevalence and outcomes of proton pump inhibitor associated hypomagnesemia in chronic kidney disease. PLoS One. 2018 May 25;13(5):e0197400.
Green D, Ritchie JP, Chrysochou C, Kalra PA. Revascularization of atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis for chronic heart failure versus acute pulmonary oedema. Nephrology (Carlton). 2018 May;23(5):411-417.
Kalra PA, Green D, Poulikakos D. Arrhythmia in hemodialysis patients and its relation to sudden death. Kidney Int. 2018 Apr;93(4):781-783.
Vassallo D, Ritchie J, Green D, Chrysochou C, Kalra PA. The effect of revascularization in patients with anatomically significant atherosclerotic renovascular disease presenting with high-risk clinical features. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 2018 Mar 1;33(3):497-506.
Greenan K, Vassallo D, Chinnadurai R, Ritchie J, Shepherd K, Green D, Ponnusamy A, Sinha S. Respiratory manifestations of ANCA-associated vasculitis. Clin. Respir J. 2018 Jan;12(1):57-61.
Hughes J, Green D, Chiu DYY, Abidin N, Kalra PA. The Association of Echocardiographic Peak Systolic Strain Rate with Cardiovascular Outcomes in Haemodialysis Patients. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2018;43(6):1935-1942.