BA (Hons) Health Care: Manchester Metropolitan University, 1999
MSc (Clin. Nursing): University of Liverpool, 2000
PhD: University of Manchester, School of Nursing, 2011
- Professor of Nursing, University of Salford and Northern Care Alliance Renal Department: 2022 – present
- Honorary Lecturer, Manchester Metropolitan University: 2019 – present
- Honorary Lecturer, University of Manchester: 2018 – present
- Supervisor for masters predoc, doctoral and post-doctoral programmes
- External examiner
- Member of NIHR NMAHP post-doctoral incubator group
- Member of ISPD nursing committee
- Secretary and co-founder Association of Nephrology Nurses Association- ANN UK
- Member of Clinical Senate for Greater Manchester and Lancashire
- Co-Chair Kidney Dialysis Research Innovation Network
- Florence Nightingale Scholar
- Vice Chair UKKA Academic and Education
- Member UKKA Supportive Care Special Interest Group
- Staff Nurse, Renal Medicine Manchester Royal Infirmary: 1989 – 1993
- Junior Sister, Dialysis Unit North Manchester General Hospital: 1993 -1994
- Clinical Nurse Specialist, Fresenius Medical Care: 1994 – 1995
- Community Dialysis Sister, Manchester Royal Infirmary: 1995 – 2000
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner, Renal Medicine Manchester Royal Infirmary: 2000 -2016
- Consultant Nurse, Trafford General Hospital, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust: 2016 – 2022
Supervision at higher degrees (primary supervisor of 7 and co-supervisor of 3 MRes or internships or PhDs or post-doctoral fellowships).
- Acquired cystic kidney disease (ACKD)
- Patient experience
- Peritoneal dialysis
Current research grants:
- Grant for Educational Support to Develop National E-Learning modules for Nurses working in Kidney Care, Association of Nephrology Nurses UK (2019-ongoing)
Publications (last 5 years):
Cheetham MS, Wilkie M, Loud F, Manera KE, Ju A, Figueiredo A, Farragher J, Hurst H, Jassal SV, Mehrotra R, Morton RL, Schwartz D, Shen JI, Walker R, Cho Y, Johnson DW, Craig JC, Anumudu S, Baumgart A, Gonzalez AM, Scholes-Robertson N, Viecelli AK, Tong A; SONG-PD Life Participation Workshop Investigators. Establishing a core outcome measure for life participation in patients receiving peritoneal dialysis: A Standardised Outcomes in Nephrology-Peritoneal Dialysis consensus workshop report. Perit Dial Int. 2022 Nov;42(6):562-570.
Hurst H, Nixon A, Young H, Ancliffe L. Frailty and chronic kidney disease: A multidisciplinary approach J. Kidney Care 2021 Aug; 6(4).
KE, Ju A, Baumgart A, Hannan E, Qiao W, Howell M, Nataatmadja M, Wilkie M, Loud F, Schwartz D, Hurst H, Jassal SV, Figueiredo A, Mehrotra R, Shen J, Morton RL, Moraes T, Walker R, Cheung C, Farragher JF, Craig J, Johnson DW, Tong A. Patient-reported outcome measures for life participation in peritoneal dialysis: a systematic review. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2021 Apr 26;36(5):890-901.
Hurst H, Jones E, Ormandy P, Brettle A, Nixon AC, Young H, Mooney A, Winterbottom A, Bekker H, Brown E, Murtagh FE, Da Silva-Gane M, Coyle D, Finnigan R. Outcomes and care priorities for older people living with frailty and advanced chronic kidney disease: a multiprofessional scoping review protocol. BMJ Open. 2021 Mar 16;11(3):e040715.
Hurst H, Ramsey S, Jenkins K, Ormandy P. UK survey of renal unit practices and experiences of the COVID-19 pandemic. J. Kidney Care 2020; 5(5):220-224.
Brown EA, Hurst H. Delivering peritoneal dialysis for the multimorbid, frail and palliative patient. Perit Dial Int. 2020 May;40(3):327-332.
Glavinovic T, Hurst H, Hutchison A, Johansson L, Ruddock N, Perl J. Prescribing high-quality peritoneal dialysis: Moving beyond urea clearance. Perit. Dial. Int. 2020 May;40(3):293-301.
Brown EA, Blake PG, Boudville N, Davies S, de Arteaga J, Dong J, Finkelstein F, Foo M, Hurst H, Johnson DW, Johnson M, Liew A, Moraes T, Perl J, Shroff R, Teitelbaum I, Wang AY, Warady B. International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis practice recommendations: Prescribing high-quality goal-directed peritoneal dialysis. Perit. Dial. Int. 2020 May;40(3):244-253.
Hurst H, Griffiths J, Hunt C, Martinez E. A realist evaluation of the implementation of open visiting in an acute care setting for older people. BMC Health Serv Res. 2019 Nov 21;19(1):867.
Bhargava R, Kalra PA, Hann M, Brenchley P, Hurst H, Hutchison AJ. A randomized controlled trial of different serum phosphate ranges in subjects on hemodialysis. BMC Nephrol. 2019 Feb 4;20(1):37.
Jackson VE, Hurst H, Mitra S. Structured physical assessment of arteriovenous fistulae in haemodialysis access surveillance: A missed opportunity? J. Vasc. Access. 2018 May;19(3):221-229.