Professor Phil Kalra Director of Research & Innovation
BA Class 2:1: Cambridge University (Medical School), 1979
MB BChir: Cambridge University (with Distinction), 1982
MA: Cambridge University,1983
MRCP (UK): Royal College of Physicians, 1985
MD: Cambridge University, 1995
FRCP (UK): Royal College of Physicians, 1999
- Consultant Nephrologist, Salford Royal Hospital, Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust: 1995 – present
- Honorary Professor of Nephrology, University of Manchester: 2009 – present
- Visiting Professor, Manchester Metropolitan University: 2019 – present
- Director of Research and Innovation, Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust: 2020 – present
- NIHR Greater Manchester CRN Relevant Research Lead: 2022 – present
- Director, Donal O’Donoghue Renal Research Centre: 2023 – present
- House Physician, Yeovil District Hospital: 1982
- House Surgeon, St. Thomas’ Hospital, London: 1983
- Regional SHO rotation, Leeds General Infirmary: 1983 – 1985
- Renal Registrar, Leeds General Infirmary: 1985 – 1987
- Registrar in Nephrology and Critical Care, Auckland Hospital, New Zealand: 1987 – 1988
- Tutor in Medicine, University of Manchester at Hope Hospital: 1988 – 1990
- North West Region Medical Research Training Fellowship, Hope Hospital: 1990
- North West Senior Registrar rotation in Nephrology and General Medicine: 1990 – 1995
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Manchester: 2006 – 2009
- Kidney Research UK research grants committee: 2008 – 2013
- Chairman of the UKKRC Cardio-Renal clinical specialty group: 2009 – 2014
- Chairman of the NIHR CRN National Renal Disorders group (clinical trials): 2010 – 2018
- UK Kidney Research consortium (UKKRC), Chair: 2016 – 2018
- UK Renal Association Academic Vice President: 2016 – 2019
- Principal Clinical Research Lead, Salford Royal Hospital: 2016 – 2020
Supervision at higher degrees (primary supervisor of 19 and co-supervisor of 8 MDs or PhDs).
- Renovascular disease
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD) epidemiology and pathogenesis
- Cardiovascular disease in CKD
Currently active research grants:
- Epidemiological study of glomerulonephritis, Principal Investigator, Vifor – Industry sponsored Investigator initiated trial (2020 – 2024)
- Prospective study of hyperkalaemia treatment in a non-dialysis CKD cohort, Principal Investigator, Vifor – Industry sponsored Investigator initiated trial (2018 – 2023)
- Proteo-genomics studies in CKD, Co-applicant /CKD Work package Lead, MRC (2017 – 2023)
- Application of Functional Renal MRI to improve assessment of chronic kidney disease (AFiRM study), Co-Applicant, MRC-EME (2020 – 2023)
- Aldosterone bloCkade for Health ImproVement Evaluation in end-stage renal disease (ACHIEVE-UK), Co-applicant, British Heart Foundation (2020 – 2023)
- National Unified Renal Translational Research Enterprise (NURTuRE) – Chronic Kidney Disease, Co-applicant, Industry funded,Kidney Research UK managed, 2016-2023
Ramirez Medina CA, Ali I, Baricevic-Jones I, Odudu A, Saleem MA, Whetton AD, Kalra PA, Geifman N, Proteomic signature associated with chronic kidney disease (CKD) progression identified by data-independent acquisition mass spectrometry. Clin. Proteomics 2023 Apr 20;20(1):19.
Bhandari S, Parfrey P, White C, Anker SD, Farrington K, Ford I, Kalra PA, McMurray JJV, Robertson M, Tomson CRV, Wheeler DC, Macdougall IC; PIVOTAL Investigators, Committees. Predictors of quality of life in patients within the first year of commencing haemodialysis based on baseline data from the PIVOTAL trial and associations with the study outcomes. J Nephrol. 2023 Mar 30:1-12.
Bushinsky DA, Budden JJ, Kalra PA, Yuan J, Quinn CM, Epstein M. Patiromer Treatment in Patients With CKD, Hyperkalemia, and Hyperphosphatemia: A Post Hoc Analysis of 3 Clinical Trials. Am J Kidney Dis. 2023 Mar 23:S0272-6386(23)00576-0.
Chukwu CA, Holmberg C, Storrar J, Middleton R, Sinha S, Kalra PA, Shawki H, Rao A. Clinical and histopathologic predictors of recurrent glomerulonephritis after kidney transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2023 Mar 23:e14970.
Petrie MC, Jhund PS, Connolly E, Mark PB, MacDonald MR, Robertson M, Anker SD, Bhandari S, Farrington K, Kalra PA, Wheeler DC, Tomson CRV, Ford I, McMurray JJV, Macdougall IC; PIVOTAL Investigators and Committees. High-dose intravenous iron reduces myocardial infarction in patients on haemodialysis. Cardiovasc Res. 2023 Mar 17;119(1):213-220.
McDonnell T, Wu HHL, Kalra PA, Chinnadurai R. COVID-19 in Elderly Patients Receiving Haemodialysis: A Current Review. Biomedicines. 2023 Mar 16;11(3):926.
Cook S, Schmedt N, Broughton J, Kalra PA, Tomlinson LA, Quint JK. Characterising the burden of chronic kidney disease among people with type 2 diabetes in England: a cohort study using the Clinical Practice Research Datalink. BMJ Open. 2023 Mar 7;13(3):e065927.
Kalra S, Coetzee A, Kalra PA, Saldaña JR, Kilov G. Rubrometabolic Syndrome. Minerva Endocrinol (Torino). 2023 Mar;48(1):59-75.
Grams ME, Brunskill NJ, Ballew SH, Sang Y, Coresh J, Matsushita K, Surapaneni A, Bell S, Carrero JJ, Chodick G, Evans M, Heerspink HJL, Inker LA, Iseki K, Kalra PA, Kirchner HL, Lee BJ, Levin A, Major RW, Medcalf J, Nadkarni GN, Naimark DMJ, Ricardo AC, Sawhney S, Sood MM, Staplin N, Stempniewicz N, Stengel B, Sumida K, Traynor JP, van den Brand J, Wen CP, Woodward M, Yang JW, Wang AY, Tangri N. The Kidney Failure Risk Equation: Evaluation of Novel Input Variables including eGFR Estimated Using the CKD-EPI 2021 Equation in 59 Cohorts. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2023 Mar 1;34(3):482-494.
Hackett G, Kirby M, Rees RW, Jones TH, Muneer A, Livingston M, Ossei-Gerning N, David J, Foster J, Kalra PA, Ramachandran S. The British Society for Sexual Medicine Guidelines on Male Adult Testosterone Deficiency, with Statements for Practice. World J Mens Health. 2023 Feb 22. doi: 10.5534/wjmh.221027.
Heath PT, Galiza EP, Baxter DN, Boffito M, Browne D, Burns F, Chadwick DR, Clark R, Cosgrove CA, Galloway J, Goodman AL, Heer A, Higham A, Iyengar S, Jeanes C, Kalra PA, Kyriakidou C, Bradley JM, Munthali C, Minassian AM, McGill F, Moore P, Munsoor I, Nicholls H, Osanlou O, Packham J, Pretswell CH, San Francisco Ramos A, Saralaya D, Sheridan RP, Smith R, Soiza RL, Swift PA, Thomson EC, Turner J, Viljoen ME, Fries L, Cho I, McKnight I, Glenn G, Rivers EJ, Robertson A, Alves K, Smith K, Toback S. Safety and Efficacy of the NVX-CoV2373 Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccine at Completion of the Placebo-Controlled Phase of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2023 Feb 8;76(3):398-407.