Medical degree: National Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece, 1998
Renal Medicine Exit Exam: 2010
MD (Res): St George’s University of London, 2015
(Electrocardiography for risk stratification of sudden cardiac death in chronic kidney disease)
- Consultant Renal Physician, Salford Royal Hospital, Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust: 2015 – present
- Honorary Senior Lecturer in Cardiovascular Sciences, Centre for Cardiac Research Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Manchester: 2019 – present
- Clinical Director, Department of Renal Medicine, Salford Care Organisation, Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust: 2020 – present
- Clinical Director/ Co-Chair North West Kidney Network – 2023
- AKI Educational Clinical Lead Greater Manchester, Lancashire and South Cumbria Strategic Clinical Network: 2015 – 2017
- AKI Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust Lead: 2018 – 2021
- Clinical Lead for CKD workstream for Greater Manchester North West Kidney Network: 2022 – 2023
Supervision at higher degrees (primary supervisor of one PhD student – Consultancy with Panthera).
- Cardiovascular disease in CKD
- Risk stratification for sudden cardiac death
- Acute kidney injury
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Health inequalities in CKD and immune response to COVID-19 infection
- Vaccination in dialysis and renal transplant patients
Current research grants:
- Proteomic analysis of molecules exchanged using new medium cut-off dialysis membrane, Co-applicant, Kidneys for Life, (2018 – ongoing)
- Evaluation of point of care creatinine for early detection and management of AKI in the community, Principal Investigator, Investigator Initiated Research-NOVA biomedical (2018 – ongoing)
- Genetic associations with increased repolarisation heterogeneity and cardiac risk in HD patients, Principal Investigator, Kidneys for Life (2018 – ongoing)
- Impact of medium cut-off membrane on FGF-23 level on hemodialysis patients, Principal Investigator, Investigator Initiated Research-Baxter (2018 – ongoing)
- Goal directed incremental peritoneal dialysis in Nigeria, Co-applicant, International Society of Nephrology-Clinical Research Programme Grant (2021 – 2023)
Publications (last 5 years):
Chinnadurai R, Ramgobin C, Wu HHL, Hayes E, Collier J, Lewis D, Poulikakos D. Long-term antibody response following COVID-19 vaccination in patients receiving peritoneal dialysis. Semin. Dial. 2022 Nov;35(6):559-560.
Storrar J, Gill-Taylor T, Chinnadurai R, Chrysochou C, Poulikakos D, Rainone F, Ritchie J, Lamerton E, Kalra PA, Sinha S. A low rate of end-stage kidney disease in membranous nephropathy: A single centre study over 2 decades. PLoS One. 2022 Oct 13;17(10):e0276053.
Poulikakos D, Martin J, Collier J, Lewis D. A pilot project evaluating a fixed drainage system (U-Drain) for automated peritoneal dialysis. Perit. Dial. Int. 2022 Sep;42(5):530-534.
Poulikakos D, Chinnadurai R, Anwar S, Ahmed A, Chukwu C, Moore J, Hayes E, Gorton J, Lewis D, Donne R, Lamerton E, Middleton R, O’Riordan E. Increasing Uptake of COVID-19 Vaccination and Reducing Health Inequalities in Patients on Renal Replacement Therapy-Experience from a Single Tertiary Centre. Vaccines (Basel). 2022 Jun 13;10(6):939.
Chinnadurai R, Wu HHL, Cox E, Moore J, Clough T, Lamerton E, Donne R, O’Riordan E,
Poulikakos D. Humoral Response in Hemodialysis Patients Following COVID-19 Vaccination and Breakthrough Infections during Delta and Omicron Variant Predominance. Vaccines (Basel). 2022 Mar 24;10(4):498.
Chukwu CA, Mahmood K, Elmakki S, Gorton J, Kalra PA, Poulikakos D, Middleton R. Evaluating the antibody response to SARS-COV-2 vaccination amongst kidney transplant recipients at a single nephrology centre. PLoS One. 2022 Mar 10;17(3):e0265130.
Fakrogha PE, Ntuen N, Oko-Jaja R, Duru U, Harry AM, David-West M, Amadi O, Nonju TI, Owhonda G, Ohiri J, Alasia DD, Izuchukwu AD, Erekosima I, Lewis D, Wokoma FS, Emem-Chioma PC, Poulikakos D. Evaluation and Use of Point-of-Care Creatinine for Detection of Acute Kidney Injury in Nigeria. Kidney Int Rep. 2022 Mar 26;7(6):1439-1440.
Poulikakos D, Chinnadurai R, Mcgee Y, Gray S, Clough T, Clarke N, Murphy T, Wickens O, Mitchell C, Darby D, Paul J, Chadwick P, Sethi S, Sinha S, Kalra PA, Donne R. A Quality Improvement Project to Minimize COVID-19 Infections in Patients Receiving Haemodialysis and the Role of Routine Surveillance Using Nose and Throat Swabs for SARS-CoV-2 rRT-PCR and Serum Antibody Testing. Nephron. 2022;146(4):335-342.
Middleton RJ, Gorton J, O’Riordan E, Knight S, Kalra PA, Poulikakos D. Impact of Shielding and First Dose of COVID-19 Vaccination in Kidney Transplant Recipients. Nephron. 2022;146(1):64-66.
Fox V, Poulikakos D. Travel arrangements in hemodialysis patients during the COVID-19 pandemic including London-style “black cabs” for transfer to a designated isolation unit. Hemodial. Int. 2021 Oct;25(4):563-564.
Gray S, Clough T, Mcgee Y, Murphy T, Donne R, Poulikakos D. Occupational exposure of healthcare workers to COVID-19 and infection prevention control measures in haemodialysis facilities in North West of England. Infect. Prev. Pract. 2021 Sep;3(3):100150.
Wickens O, Chinnadurai R, Mannan F, Svendsen F, Baig MY, Chukwu C, Ali I, Summersgill C, Evans D, Antoine BV, Oxton J, Mairs N, Flanagan E, Oliver R, Kalra PA, Poulikakos D. Investigating the utility of COVID-19 antibody testing in end-stage renal disease patients receiving haemodialysis: a cohort study in the United Kingdom. BMC Nephrol. 2021 Apr 27;22(1):154.
Lodge MDS, Abeygunaratne T, Alderson H, Ali I, Brown N, Chrysochou C, Donne R, Erekosima I, Evans P, Flanagan E, Gray S, Green D, Hegarty J, Hyde A, Kalra PA, Lamerton E, Lewis D, Middleton R, New D, Nipah R, O’Donoghue D, O’Riordan E, Poulikakos D, Rainone F, Raman M, Ritchie J, Sinha S, Wood G, Tollitt J. Safely reducing haemodialysis frequency during the COVID-19 pandemic. BMC Nephrol. 2020 Dec 7;21(1):532.
Gray S, Clough T, Mcgee Y, Murphy T, Poulikakos D. Increased risk of COVID-19 in haemodialysis healthcare workers in a tertiary centre in the North West of England. Hosp. Infect. 2020 Oct;106(2):390-391.
Poulikakos D, Sinha S, Kalra P. SARS-CoV-2 antibody screening in healthcare workers in a tertiary centre in North West England J. Clin. Virol. 2020 Aug;129:104545.
Skampardoni S, Poulikakos D, Malik M, Green D, Kalra PA. The potential of electrocardiography for cardiac risk prediction in chronic and end-stage kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2019 Jul 1;34(7):1089-1098.
Simpson S, Storrar J, Ritchie J, Alshawy K, Ebah L, Sinha S, Elton P, Darby D, Poulikakos D. Point of Care Creatinine to assist clinical decision making in suspected sepsis in the community. Point of Care 2019 June;18(2):41-45.
Tollitt J, Bennett N, Darby D, Flanagan E, Chadwick P, Sinha S, Kalra PA, Ritchie J, Poulikakos D. The importance of acute kidney injury in suspected community acquired infection. PLoS One. 2019 May 7;14(5):e0216412.
Poulikakos D, Hnatkova K, Skampardoni S, Green D, Kalra P, Malik M. Sudden Cardiac Death in Dialysis: Arrhythmic Mechanisms and the Value of Non-invasive Electrophysiology. Front Physiol. 2019 Feb 25;10:144.
Skampardoni S, Green D, Hnatkova K, Malik M, Kalra PA, Poulikakos D. QRS-T Angle Predicts Cardiac Risk and Correlates With Global Longitudinal Strain in Prevalent Hemodialysis Patients. Front Physiol. 2019 Feb 25;10:145.
Kalra PA, Green D, Poulikakos D. Arrhythmia in hemodialysis patients and its relation to sudden death. Kidney Int. 2018 Apr;93(4):781-783.
Sykes L, Sinha S, Hegarty J, Flanagan E, Doyle L, Hoolickin C, Edwards L, Ferris P, Lamerton E, Poulikakos D, Green D, Nipah R. Reducing acute kidney injury incidence and progression in a large teaching hospital. BMJ Open Qual. 2018 Nov 26;7(4):e000308.
Tollitt J, Flanagan E, McCorkindale S, Glynn-Atkins S, Emmett L, Darby D, Ritchie J, Bennett B, Sinha S, Poulikakos D. Improved management of acute kidney injury in primary care using e-alerts and an educational outreach programme. Fam Pract. 2018 Dec 12;35(6):684 – 689.
Poulikakos D, Hnatkova K, Banerjee D, Malik M. Association of QRS-T angle and heart rate variability with major cardiac events and mortality in hemodialysis patients. Ann. Noninvasive Electrocardiol. 2018 Nov;23(6):e12570.